Audacity is a free, easy-to-use and multilingual audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. You can use Audacity to:
- Record live audio.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files.
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Change the speed or pitch of a recording.
- And more! See the complete list of features.
In the past I’ve used Audacity to edit music for content and quality, convert audio files to different formats, record music and record lectures. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves working with audio for fun. There are a variety of plugins available on the web too.